Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
There are many aspects to conducting research including:
- Search strategies
- Identifying the tools for your research
- Obtaining copies of the items you identify during your research
- Properly citing your research
This guide will provide you with the resources to conduct your research not only for this class but for others as well.
Some Search Strategies
When searching for articles, books, etc. there are several techniques you can use to make your searching more effective:
- Develop a list of terms to try in each database until you determine the correct terms for each database.
- Use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) to help limit or broaden your search.
- AND requires that both terms be present in each result
- OR requires at least one but not necessarily both terms be present in each result
- NOT can be used to eliminate results with a particular term present
- How do you search phrases in a database? Does it require quotes? Check the Help to find out.
- Truncation can be used to find varying word endings in one search. Usually you will use an asterisk (*).
- Can you limit your results by language (e.g. English)? Is this appropriate?
- Can you limit your results by type of material (e.g. peer-reviewed or scholarly article)?
- Can you limit your results by date and is it appropriate?
- Click on relevant subjects to expand your search query.
- Perform an Advanced Search in CONSORT for the terms "encyclopedia" or "guide" along with some general key terms for your subject and limit the search to WOO Reference. This will help identify any encyclopedias or guides to your subject which could help provide an overview of the topic and possibly some resources.
- Look at footnotes and bibliographies of items you already have.
Online Reference Sources
Credo Reference This link opens in a new window
Credo Reference enables users to find authoritative answers fast. It features content from hundreds of reference books in a broad range of subjects. There are over 270 titles consisting of an aggregate of 3.1 million entries all interconnected by over 100,000,000 links.
OhioLINK Scholarly and Reference E-Books This link opens in a new window
Collection of scholarly and reference ebooks provided by OhioLINK.
Oxford Reference Premium Online (Oxford) This link opens in a new window
Oxford Reference Online Premium includes full text of a bout 100+ dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works from Oxford University Press; key titles from the Oxford Companion Series; and the full test of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.
, East Asia
, Electronic Books
, First Year Seminar
, Global and International Studies
, Government Information
, Open Access
, Physical Education
, Political Science
, Russian Studies
, South Asia
, Urban Studies